Thursday, April 24, 2008

Recommended: Exotic Rice

Oooooh-Eeee! I love it when I find a new source for unique, flavorful foods. Check out this Chinese Black Rice from Urban Accents. Who knew rice came in exotic varieties like LaMancha Saffron, Himalayan Red, Wild Bayou, Siam Jasmine or Yunan Palace Bamboo? Trouble is, these all look as if they're temporarily out of stock online. I actually found mine in the gourmet section of T. J. Maxx.

Never fear, they're also available here in one pound bags for less than $3. How about Purple Sticky Rice or Brown Wehani Rice?

Even my picky eater DH liked the chewy texture and nutty flavor of the black rice, which I cooked in chicken broth. Wonders never cease! And at only 80 calories for 1/2 cup, it's a great fiber-filled treat!

5 comments:

HappyBlogChick said...

Yum, that sounds REALLY good!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Rice is one of those foods I need to try again. I've never been particularly enamored of it in its traditionally prepared forms. But now that prices are going up, I'll probably fall in love with it. :) Thanks for the tips, and have a wonderful weekend!

Nicole said...

I'm not much of a rice eater, but my husband is (of course). I do enjoy wild rice, so maybe I'll try the black rice. And purple sticky rice sounds divine!

Hanlie said...

We don't get such exotic fare here... But I love rice! I'd choose it any day over potatoes!

Erin said...

I love rice, as a matter of fact I try to eat it every day! I'll be browsing to see if I can find something our family would like. Have a great weekend!