Sunday, April 20, 2008

Just Get Me to the Church on Time


Sorry for the late post today. It's been a another whirlwind weekend.

As I mentioned yesterday, our string quartet played the second wedding of the weekend yesterday afternoon. I got in a good workout yesterday morning, including the Swiss ball workout. (To answer the question, 'How do you get in the starting position?', you first sit on the ball, then lean back slightly as you walk your feet out until the ball "rolls" up your back.)

Late this morning, I went to the golf course with DH and hit three buckets of balls before joining my mom and her DH for lunch. A quick phone call to our agency's harpist led me to believe everything was on go for this afternoon's wedding - for which my only responsibility was to contract the musician...or so I thought!

After a good C25K outside workout, I came back inside hot, sweaty, but feeling good. At 4:20, no sooner than I had sucked the first sip of a frozen orange protein slush, the phone rang.

On the other end, a somewhat panicky bride reminded me the wedding rehearsal was scheduled to have started at 4 p.m. I reassured her the harpist would arrive in plenty of time to begin playing the prelude by 5:30 for the ceremony at 6 p.m.

"But you're supposed to officiate, and we were expecting YOU for the rehearsal," the bride explained slowly and distinctly while I frantically searched my contract folder to make sure I hadn't overlooked something.

Regardless how it happened, my mission was to calm the bride and guarantee that I could arrive within 30 minutes to conduct a rehearsal and subsequently perform the ceremony.

Sweat still rolling down my back, I took a 30-second shower, blow-dried my hair with the sweat in it, powdered appropriate areas, donned my ministerial garb, grabbed my liturgies - plus a food bar and a bottle of water - and hit the road. (Pant! Pant!)

The wedding went fine, everybody loved it, and I finished with 20 minutes to spare before I was scheduled to meet my DH for a 7 p.m. movie.

After tomorrow morning's workout, I'll catch up on my blog reading!!

2 comments:

Pattie said...

Phew!! I'd say you got a workout, and then some! You're an amazing woman, Rebecca. Truly.

Erin said...

Busy Busy Lady, I'm glad you got a whole lot accomplished this weekend!