Thursday, April 17, 2008

Green Initiatives



One of the advantages of living in Hot Springs, Ark., is being only 15 minutes away from Hot Springs Village, home to nine beautiful golf courses. What's even better is that property owners can play a round on several of the state's top 10 courses for less than $25 (including cart), plus monthly association dues of $37.

As part of my commitment to become more active this year, I agreed to learn to play golf - as long as my DH agreed to pay for a series of lessons from a professional golfer so that I could learn the fundamentals the right way the first time. DH agreed, and set me up with Steve Wheelis, a golf pro who lives in the Village.



I had my first lesson yesterday as an introduction to grip; alignment; set-up, ball position and athletic posture; and swing plane. WOW, was it ever fun! I may be hooked!

Golf may not burn as many calories as the treadmill, but it's a great way to spend time outdoors between workouts. Stay tuned for updates!

8 comments:

Pattie said...

How fun, Rebecca! I've always wanted to learn to play golf. Will you teach me once you've learned? :-)

PS - If you have a chance, head to my blog and cast your vote this week...

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! I have golfed several times when I was younger but not lately.

Have a great weekend! ;)

Sunflower said...

That is so cool and what a great way to enjoy being active.

Unknown said...

The weather here has been awesome these last few days! Not so great today, but I guess we take what we can get.

Golf is really a good exercise too. I wish I knew how to play.

Have fun!
Jessica from AR.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Just being outdoors (especially in your area) will be wonderful!

Nicole said...

I'm not a golfer, but I'm so glad you're enjoying it and having a great time! There's something exquisite about discovering a new joy.

Hanlie said...

I'd love to learn! Craig used to play when we got to know each other, but when he bought his current business, he stopped. He doesn't want to spend half his only day off on the golf course.

One day... Enjoy!

Kathy said...

That's a terrific idea! Anything you enjoy and keeps you moving is great. Good luck! And, it must be wonderful to participate in weddings...good for you.