Thursday, April 10, 2008

Inspiration: Our Gym Hero


Whew, it feels good to be home - sleeping in my own bed, cooking in my own kitchen, sitting at my own desk, working out in my home gym. On my birthday!

Tomorrow morning, I'm scheduled to interview a man who, without knowing it, has inspired me to train consistently, even when I don't feel like it. Each time he walks into the gym, he yells, "Mornin', everybody! (Waits for response.) How's everybody doin' today? (Waits for second response.)" For the next few minutes, he strolls around the gym, pumping handshakes like a seasoned politician.

I watch as he unzips his gym bag to retrieve an unwieldy contraption which he slings over his shoulder. With one hand, he buckles a strap around his chest. Next, he wraps a towel around one handle of a spin bike. Finally, he locks his prosthetic hand over the towel and begins his workout.

Folks who've been around a while tell me he was injured in the war. I'm not yet sure which one. I'll find out in the morning.

After I learned his name, I called our gym hero this afternoon to schedule the interview. He agreed, but said he needed to be finished by 10:30.

"A group of us meet over at the St. Joseph Chapel to pray for our service personnel serving in Iraq and other areas of the world," he explained.

This is going to be a good story. I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Thanks to everybody who sent get-well wishes to DH. He's recovering nicely!

8 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like an interesting interview! Can't wait to read it!

Hanlie said...

Oh yes, please give us a link to read it once it's done!

Thank you for the lovely comment you left me yesterday! I really appreciate that!

Forgetfulone said...

What a great teaser! I can't wait to read the intereview.

Pattie said...

Welcome home, Rebecca! Your posts from the road were terrific.

I can't wait to read the story on this fellow. What an inspiration! He sounds like a living example of my belief that Attitude Changes Everything!

Susie said...

Wow--what an inspiration. And you are pretty inspiring yourself..as is your son! I saw your string quartet page. NICE!!!!!!!!
I have to tell you that I thought of you yesterday..my daughter and I baked cookies and yes..I nibbled a bit..but I thought if Readymaid to go on a culinary tour of LA and restrain..which is really really really hard..(um..benyays--so? Cafe do monde!!!!) then I can hold off on this mediocre cookie. Thanks for the kick in the butt!
ps- What do you think of the Vitamin String Quartet? Do you know them? Being a more classical musician , which I think you are(could be wrong)? I just discovered them and DL a bunch of stuff. I do like Classical as well..but it is an interesting spin on some of my faves. Hope your hubby is doing well.

Grumpy Chair said...

If I'm reading correctly, yesterday was your birthday! So happy belated birthday to you.

Wow your gym hero is a war hero also. Are you doing the interview for a magazine or for your blog? Either way, I can't wait to read it.

Glad you are enjoying being back home after your road trip. You were truly inspiring and made excellent healthy substitutions.

Hope hubby continues to recover nicely.

Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Very cool that you live in Hot Springs. Did you graduate from Lakeside? How old are you?

We live in Conway, but both my husband and I work in Little Rock.

We visit the inlaws every now and then, so we'll have to say hi sometime.

Melanie Thomassian said...

Hi Rebecca,

He sounds amazingly inspirational...like working out is one of the highlights of his day!

I can't wait to read the full story.