Sunday, January 20, 2008

Don't Tread on Me!

"It's a full size professional treadmill with a programmable digital keyboard," the gentleman told me in answer to my telephone inquiry about the $100 treadmill he advertised for sale in today's classifieds. "Because I do four miles a day, I've ordered an updated model, complete with music and a fan. But I think you'll be extremely pleased with this one."

What a steal! I thought, as DH and I drove to the seller's house, less than five minutes away. And what a happy coincidence that he has exactly what I'm looking for.

Once we arrived to look at the machine, DH's attitude did a 180. "Where are you going to put this? I'm telling you, it's too big for our house."

Despite DH's moaning while he and the seller hoisted the monster onto a dolly, I handed over five 20's. Once outside, the treadmill was too large to fit into the bed of our Sporttrac without the guys having to lift it over the cargo rack. They agreed to hold off until DH could round up a buddy with a larger truck bed. The seller kept my $100 and we came home.

Once back to the house, DH went into uncharacteristic designer mode. "You actually think that thing will actually fit in the guest room?? I beg to differ. Just look." He was right. It would have taken up most of the available path around the bed where folks actually sleep probably 14 nights a year.

But THEN, he just kept going and going and going. "Have you ever in your life exercised or worked out for more than a few weeks at a time? I guarantee you, even if we could get that thing in here, it would just sit. And I'm not hauling it in here just for guests to have to wiggle around when they come over. Not gonna do it."

So we hopped back into the truck, returned the owner's manual and retrieved my $100.

Then he started up again. "I'm not trying to be difficult or critical. I just know how these things work. If you want to come up to the office, I'll pay the $5 a month to get you into the workout room."

I'm so sure I want to drive 15 minutes to walk through his office bullpen sans makeup on my way to the workout room, then walk back through his office after I'm all sweaty for the 15 minute drive home.

What I wanted to do was get a treadmill so that I could walk while I watch Joyce Meyer every morning at 7:30, then put my makeup on while I listen to Creflo Dollar at 8. Don't get me wrong; I'm an early riser who offices at home, so I can adjust my schedule to what works best for me.

DH insists that walking on a treadmill won't do anything for me, anyway. (Some folks disagree.) "You've got to run, and I know you're not going to do that," he added. "If you want to do some sort of aerobic exercise inside the house while you watch your TV preachers, you can get an exercise step or a wooden block for that matter and step up and down for 30 minutes to get a better workout than you would have gotten on a treadmill."

So the ball's back in my court. I'll let you know how I decide to become more active.

How do you get moving at home? Any suggestions how to get started indoors while it's sub-freezing outdoors?

No comments: