Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Turn Workout Time into "Eureka" Moments


Harvard researchers used MRIs to track brain activity during "daydreaming." What they found was a kind of default network pattern that switched on during familiar, easy tasks and switched off while a person was deep in concentration.

This default network, they figure, is actually the brain kicking in to use spare energy and time to form important but not necessarily urgent ideas.

This could be why you get so many "eureka" ideas in the bathtub or shower... or while driving or washing dishes... or while taking a walk (or, in our case, while WORKING OUT!). Another good reason to head to the gym, huh?

So far, I'm a treadmiller. Last week, I finally bought an MP3 player, although I didn't spring for an IPod. But wow, what a difference it makes having music to walk or jog to! I've got a few favorites that work for 3.8- 4.2 mph on the treadmill. Click the sidebar to email me, and I'll respond with a good Cajun tune!



(Thanks to Jack Forde's Copywriter's Roundtable for the tip.)

4 comments:

HappyBlogChick said...

I agree - the music helps bunches. I don't know what I'd do without my couch to 5k podcasts.

Enjoy your new toy!

KrisR said...

Well, let's try this again....

I use a couple podcasts from itunes for interval training. A gal named Stin puts them out. They have been real helpful for me to keep going for a 20 minute HIIT session.

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

Oh, absolutely! Music definitely makes the exercise thing easier. I wouldn't worry too much about not getting the iPod. It's not all it's cracked up to be in my opinion.

Susie said...

I have my greatest thoughts in the shower...It's so great that you are working out..I can see by your ticker that you are doing well! Enjoy the losses ,feeling good and taking care of you. :)